Promerita Vita

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Character Discussion

Ethan Knight
    Ethan Knight
    O-6 Colonel
    O-6 Colonel

Number of posts : 221
    Registration date : 2008-10-18

Character Discussion Empty Character Discussion

Post  Ethan Knight Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Discuss everyone's character and ideas for future characters here.
    Elena Vance
    Elena Vance
    O-4 Captain
    O-4 Captain

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2008-10-24

Character Discussion Empty Re: Character Discussion

Post  Elena Vance Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:18 pm

I'll list up my thoughts.

Knight - Getting separated from his family, somebody/something threatening them (hostage idea, a child's decease...)

Cavil - Living on as the Rhea's own Cylon prisoner.

Graham - Build a new or enhanced type of ship?

Vance - I know some things that are going to happen but isn't it more surprising, if you people don't? ^^ Still, take guesses and make suggestions, if you want to.

Nagala - Stays troublemaker no. 1.

Staley - Facing life-death-situations due to his cancer? I'm not sure, if he would rather survive or not. I find the character interesting but in some situations, it would be as moving, if he didn't.

Sola - Getting it on with a certain Chief Engineer... ^^

Rylan - Loses the second boot? And will probably end up consuming all the drugs left on the ship...

Graff - He'll help Rylan. Very Happy
    Francis Cavil
    Francis Cavil
    O-7 Commander
    O-7 Commander

Number of posts : 294

Post  Francis Cavil Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:48 am

Elena Vance wrote:Nagala - Stays troublemaker no. 1.

That'll probably never change. Razz

PS: I'll put up my thoughts about other people's characters some time tomorrow. It's late now, and I have school really early tomorrow. :/
    Layne Staley
    Layne Staley
    M-3 Master Sergeant
    M-3 Master Sergeant

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

Post  Layne Staley Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:42 am

Staley - Facing life-death-situations due to his cancer? I'm not sure, if he would rather survive or not. I find the character interesting but in some situations, it would be as moving, if he didn't.

That or the liver disease, or at least it failing, lol. Heavy abuse of alcohol will do that.The whole issue would probably be complicated by the smoking.

Sola - Getting it on with a certain Chief Engineer... ^^

As long as it isn't in the vein of those crappy tv shows, will they, wont they, will they, wont they, we were on a break, no we weren't. How can people watch that crap for 10 seasons? Man that stuff get tiring.
    Elena Vance
    Elena Vance
    O-4 Captain
    O-4 Captain

Post  Elena Vance Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:22 pm

I've never actually watched it in English, but at least the "we were on a break, no we weren't"-part is a reference to Friends, isn't it? Wink

But I'm quite sure that Sola won't be the only character starting a relationship. You just have to admit that love, with all its ups and downs, adds another shape to a normal character. Winning, living and/or losing forms a person. In a RP, you at least have the possibility to talk about it, make a roadmap and let things happen.
    Francis Cavil
    Francis Cavil
    O-7 Commander
    O-7 Commander

Number of posts : 294

Post  Francis Cavil Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Elena Vance wrote:I've never actually watched it in English, but at least the "we were on a break, no we weren't"-part is a reference to Friends, isn't it? Wink

But I'm quite sure that Sola won't be the only character starting a relationship. You just have to admit that love, with all its ups and downs, adds another shape to a normal character. Winning, living and/or losing forms a person. In a RP, you at least have the possibility to talk about it, make a roadmap and let things happen.

And the heart ache is rarely real. Wink
    Layne Staley
    Layne Staley
    M-3 Master Sergeant
    M-3 Master Sergeant

Post  Layne Staley Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:38 pm

I've never actually watched it in English, but at least the "we were on a break, no we weren't"-part is a reference to Friends, isn't it?

Yes, yes it is, and also by extension almost any sitcom where two characters are together one season, split the next, together the next, repeat. Scrubs did that for a while. Kinda of a downer, I like that show.

And the heart ache is rarely real.

Scene from Futurama: Love And Rocket. Bender is dating the Planet Express ship.

Bender: Well, I'm sick of her.

Fry: The ship? But you just started dating.

Bender: With my mighty robot powers, I can get sick of things much quicker than you humans.

Leela: Well just remember we all still have to work together. So try and let her down easy.

Bender: In due time, Leela. But for now I'll just resume dating cheap floozies on the side.

Fry: You have much to teach us.

[Leela grunts.]

Leela: Doesn't it bother you even a little to be taking advantage of your girlfriend's trust?

[Bender laughs.]

Bender: Oh, wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.

[He laughs even harder.]

As long as that doesn't happen, we should be fine.
    Alexander Sola
    O-1 Ensign
    O-1 Ensign

Number of posts : 97

Post  Alexander Sola Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 pm

don't worry i got fed up with that on again off again crap with friends. So it wont be like that. i actually have a plan of getting with her what with the destruction of all we know and then as i start to get to really trust someone again shes killed in action and yeah so no chance for it to happen lol Razz
    Layne Staley
    Layne Staley
    M-3 Master Sergeant
    M-3 Master Sergeant

Post  Layne Staley Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:46 pm

This probably counts as spoilerific but it's hard to write certain things in descriptions ans what not around here without spoiling some things.

I was reading Nagala's post where he asked my character why his was in the sickbay, but looking at the way it written you could also take it to mean what got him in the marines.

And that got me thinking.

My character has Lung Cancer, and probably some other stuff going on like some sort of disease of the liver. And this stuff is bound to be evident in something like a urine test (esp if it has something to do with the liver and/or kidneys). I'm pretty sure stuff like that would mean you couldn't join the marines or continue to stay in the marines if it wasn't present in the initial tests.

Now that would mean he would probably have to do something a little sneaky and use someone else's urine test. As I couldn't think of any immediately that would do that I let it stew for awhile.

Then I got stuck on what to write for my next post (the one where I first met Nagala), with a friend helping me (thanks dude), we came to the idea he should go to the sick bay. Sick bays are full or nurse doctors. A good nurse (and esp. a good doctor) would know what Layne's suffering from easily, and would figure out eventually his urine samples are at odds with what's going on.

If they didn't report something like that there must be a good reason for it. I can't really imagine why someone would willingly risk their career for some guy they don't know. So why would they do it? Perhaps they do it as a favour, or rather as a way to repay some debt. But what debt could be worth the risk. Life. Life sounds good.

Layne saved the life of the medical staff who in turn repays the debt by forging his medical documents and supplying the urine samples.

The person would have to be somewhat young and maybe not have a long medical service history that would be tarnished should they be found out. There are only two medical staff listed so far in the NPC list. The doctor and the nurse. So I figure the nurse will work for this.

Seems like a lot of work and thinking for one post, but one post is better than none. I've done this RP things before, no posts gets you booted.

If this isn't going to work with what you had in mind for the Nurse. Sorry.
    Elena Vance
    Elena Vance
    O-4 Captain
    O-4 Captain

Post  Elena Vance Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:48 pm

It's a good story. And many posts that you give a whole lot of thoughts turn out to be the best ones you've written so far. Doing something by heart is one thing, doing it by head another. Combining both can take it to a higher level. Which, of course, doesn't mean that the other two kinds of posts can't be as good. Just, you know, if you give it a background or plan something for the future and those reading it can understand the later reference or how it came to that, it feels real. And especially giving a background, a reason to something that you wouldn't think over before that happens, improves it in a way I can't quite describe.

In short: Great job. Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am